Followers

09 May 2007

Who Said this?


1) The purpose of the writer is to keep civilization from destroying itself.

2) But man is not made for defeat. A man can be destroyed but not defeated.

3) Courage is grace under pressure.

4) I hate phonies.

5) The rhythm of the weekend, with its birth, its planned gaieties, and its announced end, followed the rhythm of life and was a substitute for it.

6) The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function.

7) Don't look forward to the day you stop suffering, because when it comes you'll know you're dead.

8) Hell is yourself and the only redemption is when a person puts himself aside to feel deeply for another person.

9) I sent the club a wire stating, PLEASE ACCEPT MY RESIGNATION. I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT ME AS A MEMBER.

10) I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.

11) Helped are those who create anything at all, for they shall relive the thrill of their own conception and realize a partnership in the creation of the Universe that keeps them responsible and cheerful.

12) There are things you just can't do in life. You can't beat the phone company, you can't make a waiter see you until he's ready to see you, and you can't go home again.

13) I want the reader to feel something is astonishing. Not the 'what happens,' but the way everything happens. These long short story fictions do that best, for me.

14) I'm astounded by people who want to 'know' the universe when it's hard enough to find your way around Chinatown.

15) Eighty percent of success is showing up.

16) His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy.

17) Always dream and shoot higher than you know you can do. Don't bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself.
William Faulkner

18) Given a choice between grief and nothing, I'd choose grief.

19) I believe that man will not merely endure. He will prevail. He is immortal, not because he alone among creatures has an inexhaustible voice, but because he has a soul, a spirit capable of compassion and sacrifice and endurance.
Do not mind anything that anyone tells you about anyone else. Judge everyone and everything for yourself.

20) It is, I think, an indisputable fact that Americans are, as Americans, the most self- conscious people in the world, and the most addicted to the belief that the other nations are in a conspiracy to under-value them.

21) Live all you can - it's a mistake not to. It doesn't so much matter what you do in particular, so long as you have your life. If you haven't had that, what have you had?

22) Do not mind anything that anyone tells you about anyone else. Judge everyone and everything for yourself.

23) A diplomat is a man who always remembers a woman's birthday but never remembers her age.

24) A liberal is a man too broadminded to take his own side in a quarrel.

25) And were an epitaph to be my story I'd have a short one ready for my own. I would have written of me on my stone: I had a lover's quarrel with the world.

26) Education is the ability to listen to almost anything without losing your temper or your
Home is the place where, when you have to go there, They have to take you in.

27) College is a refuge from hasty judgment.

28) Dying is a wild night and a new road.

No comments: