Followers

05 November 2009

Algonkin- Now I Am Left

Among the many surviving Native American legends is this poem concerning an Algonkin woman who probably lived near what is now Maine, at a time prior to the arrival of the first European. It is apparently the lament of a young woman marooned on an island by jealous rivals, "false friends." Like all oral literature, this song is one of many versions passed from generation to generation. And as is the case with all translations it can only approximate the tone and meaning of the original. Yet the universal qualities of human feeling remain for all to appreciate.

Taken form American Literature Ginn Literature Series



Now I am left on this lonely island to die—
No one to hear the sound of my voice.
Who will bury me when I die?
Who will sing my death-song?
My false friends leave me here to die alone;
Like a wild beast, I am left on this island to die.
I wish the wind spirit would carry my cry to my love!
My love is swift as the deer; he would speed through the
forest to find me.
Now I am left on this lonely island to die.
I wish the wind spirit would carry my cry to my love!
My love is as swift as the deer; he would speed through the
forest to find me;
Now I am left on this lonely island to die.
I wish the spirit of air would carry my breath to my love.
My love's canoe, like sunlight, would shoot through the water
to my side;
But I am left on this lonely island to die, with no one to pity
me but the little birds.
My love is brave and strong; but, when he hears my fate, his
heart will break.
And I am on this lonely island to die.
Now the night comes on, and all is silent but the owl.
He sings a mournful song to his mate, in pity for me.
I will try to sleep.
I wish the night spirit to hear my song; he will tell my love of
my fate; and when I awake, I shall see the one I love.
I am on this lonely island to die.

No comments: