Followers

05 February 2008

Emily Brontë July 30, 1818 – December 19, 1848


The novelist Emily Brontë was born in Thornton, Yorkshire, England (1818). She's known for the only novel she ever wrote, Wuthering Heights (1848), about a boy from the streets of Liverpool named Heathcliff who is adopted into a wealthy landowning family and falls in love with his adopted sister, Catherine Earnshaw. When he realizes he can't have her, he tries to take revenge upon his entire adopted family. It's a passionate, tragic love story written by a woman who apparently never had a romantic relationship with anyone herself. In fact, as far as we know, she rarely even spoke to anyone other than her immediate family members.

Some scholars think she may have gotten the idea for the novel from her brother's life. He was fired from a job as a tutor after it was rumored that he had an affair with the mother of the children he was supposed to be teaching. He was also suffering from alcoholism and addiction to laudanum after trying — and failing — to become a painter in London. It's possible that Branwell began to tell his sister about all his life experiences — his addictions, his love affairs, and his failed attempt to become a painter.

Just after the novel came out, Emily's brother began to fall ill. She took care of him for the next several months, until he died in September 1848. She came down with the same illness a month later, and she had died before the end of the year. She was only 30 years old.


*A good heart will help you to a bonny face, my lad and a bad one will turn the bonniest into something worse than ugly.

*A person who has not done one half his day's work by ten o clock, runs a chance of leaving the other half undone.

*Any relic of the dead is precious, if they were valued living.

*Having leveled my palace, don't erect a hovel and complacently admire your own charity in giving me that for a home.

*Honest people don't hide their deeds.

*I am now quite cured of seeking pleasure in society, be it country or town. A sensible man ought to find sufficient company in himself.

*I cannot express it: but surely you and everybody have a notion that there is, or should be, an existence of yours beyond you.

*I have dreamed in my life, dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas; they have gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the color of my mind.

*I see heaven's glories shine and faith shines equal.
Emily Bronte

*I'll walk where my own nature would be leading: It vexes me to choose another guide.

*I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas; they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

*I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after.

*If I could I would always work in silence and obscurity, and let my efforts be known by their results.

*Love is like the wild rose-briar; Friendship like the holly-tree. The holly is dark when the rose-briar blooms, but which will bloom most constantly?

*Proud people breed sad sorrows for themselves.

*Yes, as my swift days near their goal, 'tis all that I implore: In life and death a chainless soul, with courage to endure.

No comments: